Friday, March 12, 2010

Haiti - Day 1

Friday - 3/12

We left Denver this morning on the flight to Miami where we are staying the night and heading to Haiti Tomorrow. I think this is going to be a great trip and a good perspective adjustment. Everyone on the team has expressed that the have had a tough week leading up to the trip with a lot of challenges. It is encouraging to know that it wasn't just me. It has been interesting so far as people have asked us what we are going to be doing while in Haiti and everyone thinks that what we're doing is great, but still to want to keep Haiti at arms length and not be affected by it personally. Maybe because it isn't something that we can directly relate to on a daily basis makes it easier to overlook.
I'm excited to get there and to get started with things. I'm a little nervous about the trip, but at the same time curious to see how I will be affected when we get there and see some of the things we have talked about like the extreme poverty, sickness, injured and devastation of the area after the earthquake. Still I believe this is an important trip and is what God wants me to do. I want to be fully engaged this week and try not to be distracted or be unaffected by the things we'll see and the people we encounter. I believe God wants to teach me some important things through this experience and I'm excited to learn what they are.

No comments: